Sunday, May 31, 2009

Penny for a Smile



Camden Market is incredibly cool and much more enjoyable than Portobello. Camden is on a canal with bridges crossing over and adorable canal boats chugging up and down the lock. The Market is much more spread out than Portobello so the crowds, though numerous, did not seem as bad. I was also glad that I didn't buy anything at Portobello because they had some of the same stuff at Camden so now I know I can be picky about prices. There was so much stuff that I just wanted to snatch up right away but I restrained myself and after seeing a lot of the market, I have a pretty good idea about what I truly want more than others. Like Portobello, there were food stalls as well selling the most delicious smelling ethnic foods.

There was an odd incident where a man came up to me and said "Penny for a smile". He had a British penny in his hand and I just kind of stared at him. So I gave him a smile and he gave me the penny. And that was that. It was really strange and I couldn't really see why he did it unless he really had the desire to see my serial killer, I'm-massively-uncomfortable-right-now smile. If so, well then I guess he got what he wanted.

We also found some of the most hilarious birthday cards. Just some of the colorfully humored cards were "Fancy a tit wank", "You're a huge fucking rug muncher", and "Fuck me senseless". We were bursting out laughing at how blunt and funny these cards were. Plus the sign that said "Blow me and watch me wiggle" next to the pistachio shell collectibles. College has obviously made us very mature adults. I also enjoyed the T-shirt that said "Swine flu: bacon's revenge" but the stall man got mad at me when I took a picture of it and made me delete it so sadly no photo for the blog.

Some girls and I went out to a local pub for dinner to just chill the night before most of them were to start their internships. My boss still hasn't contacted my internship coordinator or myself about when I am working so I am assuming I will not have work tomorrow. The situation is kind of nerve racking for me so I really just want to hear some word soon. Back to the pub, I ordered a hot sandwich called Cheddar Cheese on Toast which I assumed was like a grilled cheese. I got two slices of toast with cheese on them, so not really a sandwich, still delicious, but kind of odd.

I am also definitely for sure now going to Paris in two weeks with five other people from the program. We have one triple bedroom for the girls and one triple bedroom for the guys and we're taking the Eurostar from London to Paris. Hours tonight were spent trying to find the cheapest transportation and then the cheapest accommodations and then we accidentally booked two female triple rooms so we had to cancel that and do another one and it was chaotic and stressful. However, we have emerged with what seem to be cheap but decent lodgings for two nights. We have to leave Palace Court at like 4 in the morning to get to the train station in time but I figure I will just sleep on the train and go to bed at 8 the night before. I sleep much more easily and earlier here in London. I am really excited to plan what we're going to do and just to get back to Paris after 8 years and see it with fresh, much less bratty eyes.

No comments: